Monday, January 4, 2016

City Girl!

Hello Everyone!!
This week was full of fun adventures! On Monday, We were blessed with
an Ice storm--not a snow storm, an ICE strom-- literally everything
was covered in sheets of ice. Normally, I drive in the snow and winter
conditions because sis Plomgren is from Cali, but she decided she
needed to learn. So we prayed really hard... And Sis Plomgren  got in
the drivers seat, drove maybe 20 feet, and promptly got stuck.
Couldn't go forward, couldn't go backwards, We were dead stuck. So I
just bust out laughing, because sister Plomgren had just said to me 30
sec earlier, "driving in the snow can't be that bad! How hard can it
be?" Haha So we do everything that we can do by ourselves to get
unstuck. We sprinkled salt on the snow/ice (it actually hailed enough
to make a good 4 inches), we used our ice scraper to try and dig
ourselves out, I pushed the car, but nothing did anything. We were so
stuck. We said a prayer and while later two kind woman showed up to
help us.  We then thanked them profusely and ran home to get warm
because it had been snowing and we were soaked and frozen solid. It
was an exciting day.
On Tuesday, we met with a sister missionary that had returned earlier
this year from Utah Salt Lake City West mission, and she gave us a lot
of ideas on how to work with the Ward and help them to get excited and
involved in missionary work! It was wonderful and such an answer to
prayers.  After, our oil reallllllly needed to be changed, so we were
without a car for about 3 hours. We hadn't gotten lunch and we had a
gift card for Portillo's so we decided to walk the mile that it takes
to get there. However, it had been soon enough after the  snowstorm
that none of the sidewalks were salted or even plowed. The silver
lining of it all was that it had been in the teens overnight so all
the snow was frozen, which made all the snow freeze so we weren't just
walking on powder and sinking down to China. So we felt a little bit
like pioneers that day, walking through the ice and slush (I'm pretty
sure that our experience was a billion times better than the pioneers,
but still).
Also on Tuesday, we went to see Alice, a member that has some
difficulties, and we try to visit her at least once a week. She has a
daughter that is in school for nursing, and she is pretty inactive and
no one has been able to see her in a long time. We start visiting with
Alice , her daughter walks in and we have a really good conversation
with her. She said that she really wants to come back to church for
the spirit that she feels there. We were able to share a message with
her, and we set a return appointment to come back and do some
scripture study with her, and she said that she would come to church
next Sunday! Yay!!!
On New Year's Day, we were invited by a Scottish member to have a
traditional Scottish New Year's meal. There was mince and tatties
(meat and potatoes stirred by a spurtle, which is a fancy Scottish
name for a stick that you stir potatoes with), clapshot (a 50/50 mix
of potato and rutabaga), scones, peas, pickled beets, and for dessert,
shortbread and a clootie dumpling. A clootie dumpling is a bread with
nutmeg and raisins all wrapped in a Cloot, which is a fancy name for a
towel, and it's boiled for 3 hours. It was delicious and really cool
to see that tradition. It is definitely a New Years I will never
forget!!
So, transfer calls were this weekend and I am being transferred to
DOWNTOWN CHICAGO. I will be serving as an STL (sister training leader)
in the Lakeshore YSA (young single adult) ward. I am very excited, and
also very overwhelmed at the same time. I feel inadequate to serve in
this calling, however I know the lord qualifies whom he calls and I
can do all things through the help of Jesus Christ. I found comfort in
the scripture Moses 6: 31-34:
31 And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the
earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it
that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the
people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?
32 And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded
thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be
filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands,
and I will do as seemeth me good.
33 Say unto this people: Choose ye this day, to serve the Lord God who made you.
34 Behold my Spirit is upon you, wherefore all thy words will I
justify; and the mountains shall flee before you, and the rivers shall
turn from their course; and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you;
therefore walk with me.
I have a firm testimony of the hand of the Lord in his work. I am
merely an instrument in his hands. This gospel is going forth and the
work is hastening, what an exciting time to be a missionary. As
members we have the choice to help the Lord hasten his work, but also
knowing that it will continue to go forth, with or without us. It says
in Daniel 2:44 "And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven
set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom
shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and
consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever." I know that
this is the time to prepare to meet God, and that we will be held
accountable for actions during this life. How grateful I am for the
Savior Jesus Christ whose atonement satisfies my personal inadequacies
and weaknesses. I see his hand in my life each and every day as he
strengthens, uplifts, and qualifies me to become part of HIS work.
Choose to be a part of this glorious work of hastening and bringing
others into the gospel and the Lord will pour his blessings unto you!!
I am so OVERJOYED to have the opportunity to serve the Lord in
downtown Chicago for this upcoming transfer. I am looking forward to
all of the new experiences and all that he has to teach me.
The church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the one and only
true church of God on this Earth today. Thomas S. Monson is a living
prophet of God and has the priesthood power and authority to lead and
guide us today. Obey the commandments, follow the prophet and the
teachings of his apostles, pray and study the scriptures, and always
keep your testimony burning bright! The lord blesses those who Love
and serve him. Of these things I testify in the name of Jesus Christ.

I hope that you all had a great week! I am so grateful for your
prayers and support!

Favorite scripture of the week!!
Joshua 1:5
5 There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of
thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail
thee, nor forsake thee.

Love always,
Sister Parke

No comments:

Post a Comment